• Bitte melde dich an um zu Antworten
Keine Antworten in diesem Thema

#1 RSS-Bot Geschrieben 21. November 2011 - 16:43

RSS-Bot

Big Furry Monster

• Mitglied
  • PIPPIPPIPPIPPIP
  • 32.522 Beiträge
(Florian) We had 728 participant which is awesome. Today I will not post the winners, though. The winners will be selected today and all winners of the grand prizes will be announced tomorrow. Today I will only tell you about the correct answers and the how and why of these questions.

#1: Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain
This was more about demonstrating the concept of a trivia to the first time participants than a real trivia question. Everybody who has ever held Magic cards in his hands should know the answer. Forest.

Posted Image

#2: Gavony Township, Kessig Wolf Run, Nephalia Drownyard, Stensia Bloodhall
This was the second very easy question. Maybe you had at to stop for five seconds to figure out which card was missing and double check the spelling, but all in all, something everybody should have been able to solve.

Posted Image

#3: The card Phelddagrif is a reference to a person. Name that person? (First name and last name, no titles and not the other way around)
To which person might a flying purple hippo refer to? I don’t know why they found the artwork appropriate, but the reference is in the name anyway. Phelddagrif is an anagram of Garfield PhD. And Richard Garfield is of course the creator of this amazing game. I preferred you to give me the real name because there might be different ways to write Garfield PhD. Garfield, Ph.D. anyone?

Posted Image

#4: Hypnox, Mycosynth Golem, Pathrazer of Ulamog, Polar Kraken, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
This question was inspired by a Magic Online format that I like very much. In Momir Basic you have a deck of 60 basic lands and a Momir Vig avatar. That one can be activated once a turn for X mana and then you receive a random creature with converted mana cost X. This sounds silly, but there is enough strategy involved that the best players win more 65% of their matches. If you play Momir Basic a bit more seriouly you know which mana costs offer which creatures. At eleven mana there are just six creatures, two bombs, two very good, and two crappy. From those six one of the bombs was missing: Darksteel Colossus.

Posted Image

#5: Usually bannings of cards are announced in specific intervals. One card was deemed so unhealthy for Magic, that the DCI decided to abandon their normal quarterly schedule and instead ban the card almost immediately after its release. Which card was that?
Among longtime players it is well known, that Memory Jar was the only card ever to be emergency banned. If you look at the card now, you see a draw seven, but nothing that would strike you as so utterly degenerate that it would have necessarily banned. After all Time Reversal did nothing bad to Standard in the last year. Jar found a different environment, though. There were plenty of fast mana cards with Dark Ritual and Lotus Petal probably the most familiar. Also you had a quick and dirty kill in Megrim. What Wizards didn’t really see, though, was that while Memory Jar was bad and the name giving card to the Jar deck, by far the most degenerate card in Urza’s Legacy was Tinker, a staple not only in the Jar deck but also in the decks that Finkel and Maher played against each other in the Worlds 2000 finals. Add to this a situation where players were leaving the game in droves because they were just annoyed after two years of combo decks running rampant in Standard. As Wizards had just attempted to harness the combo winter with a massive banning, you might understand that they were not willing to take chances with Memory Jar.

Posted Image

#6: Island Sanctuary, Stasis, Word of Command, Sedge Troll
To be honest I wasn’t aware of this cycle before looking for stuff for the supertrivia. If you google these cards you will find the missing piece quite easily, though. Absent from this “cycle” is Birds of Paradise. At a glance these cards have nothing in common, and even if you take a closer look you might find nothing.
When Richard Garfield was about to hand off the Limited Edition of Magic, later referred to as Alpha, he had five artworks left that had to be used for cards. As he had no cards left, he just designed five cards top-down, never playtested them, and put them in the set. The result were, from a game design perspective, two terrible Enchantments, one of the top five rules nightmares of the game, the first card that tied the colors together in a cooperative way, and one of the most iconic cards of the game, Birds of Paradise.

Posted Image

#7: Which player won the Magic: The Gathering World Championship as an individual and with his team in the same year?
If you want to find out any stats about the Pro Tour I suggest you consult the english Wikipedia. It’s all there. 2000 in Brussels, Finkel beats Bob Maher in the final of Worlds to crown himself World Champion and Maher Player of the Year. Several minutes before, Finkel had won the Team Worlds.

#8: Ali from Cairo, Braingeyser, Berserk, Dingus Egg, Gauntlet of Might, Icy Manipulator, Orcish Oriflamme
This one was a bit messy. If you Google the cards you hit upon the first Restricted and Banned List. All these cards were on that list, but there is more than one other card on that list. What distinguishes these cards from the rest? None of these cards is banned or restricted in any format any more. The only other card in this category is Rukh Egg.

Posted Image

#9: Which card was the first card to receive a brand new artwork outside of the set it was released in?
I’m still not so sure what was so difficult to understand about the wording of this question, but as several people did not really understood it, I must assume it was a mistake on my part. To be honest I found it not that easy to formulate something that would make the question unambigous. In the English Revised Edition there were actually two cards that had receive new art. Serendib Efreet receive a green border and the artwork of Ifh-Bif Efreet. This was unintended by Wizards and I didn’t want to get this as the answer. The correct answer involves some problems on Wizards site as well, but at least the card was printed as intended. In this case the card we are talking about is Plateau. Plateau is one of the original (nine) Alpha Dual lands. When Wizards was about to send Revised to the printer they found that the artwork file of Plateau was corrupted beyond recovery. Thus they asked Cornelius Brudi to paint a new one, and promptly forgot to change the name of the artist on the card from Drew Tucker to Cornelius Brudi.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10: Blaze, Exhaustion, Stone Rain, Vengeance
I was surprised that many of you found this question comparatively easy. The beautyful thing about this question was that you could not google the answer. As a couple of you took the liberty to ask for the answers in various forums you can actually google the answer now. Didn’t make me happy, but it was probably a delusion to not expect this to happen. Anyway, without pointing finger or something, thanks to everybody who used his own brain. What was this question about then? If I had replaced one of the cards with the missing card, Mystic Denial, you would have probably have found this easier, but this was supposed to be the hardest question after all. Mystic Denial is the only card that printed in all Portal sets and nowhere else, but in the end it’s just a Cancel with some restrictions and five lines of text. The other cards were also part of every Portal set and that’s what distinguishes these cards from all other Magic cards.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

That’s all for the answers. I have no doubt the winners will be happy with their prizes, but I hope everybody enjoyed the challenge, too. Winners will be posted tomorrow. If you enjoy trivia question you might consider coming back on Friday as this trivia has been an ongoing feature for several months and we would be happy to welcome all of you as regular participants. You will not be competing for monstrous 1K+ prizes like this time, but we always have a few vouchers in store to make it more interesting.

Update: The Winners!

We made it today after all. Let’s start right at the top.

• A Box of Innistrad goes to Emilien Wild.
  • Graveborn + 25€ Voucher to Sven Braun and Maximilian Breu
  • Jace vs Chandra (jap) to Florian Elpe, Federico Rupan Ronchi, and Daniel Weichert
  • NPH Fatpacks to Tristan Devaux, Kaja Federowicz, Pasi Rinta-Halkola, Denis Ehrhardt, Torben Graefe, Stuart Schaum
And before you ask, you are registered on MKM, we have your address, your prizes will be send to you shortly. There is nothing you have to do other than accepting the package. These were the Grand Prizes, but then there are a hundred people who already received their 10€ vouchers. If you find your name in the following list, but have no incoming 10€ in your transaction history, please contact us over customer support. The MKM nicknames of the winners are:

abascon, achilles, akavaru, allen, allineas, anax84, andii, andsal, anowon, arthaios, austeniitti, bienee, big-mek, birdmaster, bwabwa, capo84, cataro, cgares, chaosk, chilbi, curimus, dbrooks, demppa, dulatus, dunkelkralle, erik2205, filfire, fobe24, gamerryu, gigiorrr, gnubibi, gothichero, grallerk, grimlavamancer, guillemnicolau, heinricj, jinjer, joola, karrion, kazhw, kingkenji, knight925, kokolokito, konko, l-inverse, landingshortly, lazermon, lokonat0r, ludoviskm, luminok, mafi-81, malamalca, maran, marins89, megac1pher, milliek, morthai, motagt, muzzy, mwarcholik, nagler, nctzorro, nesho, norman, orkpopper, oschmael, pleb, quakepro, rakshi, rammgorr, reaperrp, reavv, ricklemmen, ruderman, saight, seelenfeuer, sexyindiancurry, shinjikakaroth, smokysquirrel, stumpen, tabrys, tankready, tavoc, thejack, themyth, thommy, tinkai, tmarques, toddbratrud, unignore, vash, vasquinho, vauvenal, vermouth, viralexia, vojsob, x6pain, yamigam, yoriagami, zool.

Congratulations to all the winners, have fun with your prizes! Finally we have another cool thing coming up: The deal of the week. You can check out the announcement here on Wednesday.

Artikel lesen
Helft mir, error hält mich in seinem Keller gefangen!

© 2003 - 2016 | @MTG_Forum auf Twitter | MTG-Forum.de auf Facebook | Impressum | Disclaimer/Datenschutz | Magic-Markt | DeckStats
Diese Webseite steht in keiner Verbindung zu Wizards of the Coast, Inc. oder Hasbro, Inc. Magic: The Gathering ist ein eingetragenes Warenzeichen von Wizards of the Coast, Inc, einem Tochterunternehmen von Hasbro, Inc. Alle Rechte an den Kartennamen, dem Tap-Symbol, den Mana-Symbolen und den Editions-Symbolen liegen bei Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Alle Rechte an Bildern liegen bei dem jeweiligen Künstler oder Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.